Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi
The Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi vrat is observed on the 'Krishna Paksha Ekadashi' i.e., 11th day of the dark fortnight of moon during the 'Vaamana' month in the Vaishnava calendar. For Samarth's, this day is observed in the month of 'Ashaad'. In the Gregorian calendar, the date comes between June to July.
Yogini Ekadashi is known to be a favourable ekadashi that has abilities to free the individual from all the sins, wrongdoings, misdeeds and immoral acts. On this day, Lord Vishnu is worshipped with full devotion, dedications, loyalty and faith on this day.
Rituals during Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi
- The fasting on Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi continues for a period of three days. The preparations and arrangements commences a day before, on 'dashami' i.e., 10th day. On this day, eating only one meal is observed during noon. Nor, the person should eat anything in other's home nor he should have food served in bell-metal plates.
- Person should sleep on the ground on this day.
- On the genuine ekadashi day, the person observes fast from day to night.
- Some of the people even do not drink water on this day.
- In partial fasting eating of fruits, nuts and dairy products is allowed if a person is ill or unwell.
- Devotees get up before sunrise. They take bath with a paste made from 'Til' (sesame seeds) which is considered very promising.
- Idol of Lord Vishnu is worshipped with flowers, incense sticks and lamp. Jagran is performed at ekadashi night.
- Devotees sing bhajans of Lord Vishnu and chant Vedic mantras dedicated to Lord Vishnu, all night.
- They also visit temple of Lord Vishnu to seek his blessings.
- One is advised to read 'Bhagavad Gita', 'Vishnu Sahasranaam' and other religious books to attain rewards and benefits on this day.
- The Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi vrat is broken on the next day, 'dwadashi' (12th day).
- Fast is broken after offering prayers and devotion to the lord.
- One should some kind of donations to Brahmins.
- One, who observes fast with dedication, honesty and commitment, must break the fast by drinking 'Charnamrita' (water left after washing Lord's feet) only.
Significance of Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi
The praise of Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi are stated in the 'Brahma Vaivarta Purana' in which Lord Krishna explained the rituals and benefits of observing fast on this day to Yudhisthira, the eldest Pandav brother.
It is said that by observing the Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi fasts with proper rituals and systems, the individuals attains the same merits and blessings as obtained by feeding 88 priests or Brahmins.
One of the devout ekadashi fasting days, Yogini Ekadashi is followed by Vaishnavas who are followers of Lord Vishnu with full passion and happiness..
Devotees are blessed with well being and good health
Worshipping on Yogini Ekadashi also gives cure the individuals from various diseases and ailments. Even leprosy can be cured by keeping fast on Vaishnava Yogini Ekadashi.