Mandala Pooja is 41 days period that begins from first day of Malyalam month of Vrishchikam and culminated on eleventh day of Dhanu. Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala is one of the most famous pilgrimages in India. This is dedicated to Lord Ayappa. Temple is located in Sabari hills, towards the east of the Pathanamthitta district.
Legend behind Dhanu Sankranti :
- Vrutham is one of the most important components of Mandal Pooja. This is started on Vrichikam. Devotees commence this by wearing a Thulasimala, also called as Rudrakshmala with Mudra. Between the period of Mala and taking off, the devotee is called Ayyappn or Swami
- Mind and body of devotees should be clean and pure
- They are expected to pray daily in the mornings and evenings after taking bath.
- Female between the age of 1-9 and above age of 50 are also eligible for vruthum. This is called "Malikapuram"..
- Mandlam Pooja comes to an end with "Kalabhaattam". Mixture of sandal paste, camphor, saffron and rose water is poured in this.